Deejaysystem Professional Tools Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Deejaysystem international > English-speaking forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ripping DVD’s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Development Team
Development Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ripping DVD’s
    Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 11:33

Originally posted by John Gilbert John Gilbert wrote:

Well...  

Just to save everybody the headaches I delt with...

I use Smartripper to rip the DVD's.  It allows you to convert each track
into VOB files (choosing the right settings needs to be done first)

Then I use the ImToo Software to convert the VOB's to MPEG's

I was hoping to find a one stop program, but it sounds like my method is one
of the best so far.

I was curious to see if it made a difference whether they were converted
into MPEG-1 or MPEG-2.  I have tried both of them and there really doesn't
seem to be a big difference.  I really don't know sh*t about video and
codecs and all the stuff... so any info you might have will be appreciated.

Thanks..

John Gilbert
Havin' A Blast Entertainment

Note that VOB files are plain MPEG2 video files, so you should be able to directly copy the resulting VOB files to your hard disk, as well as playing them directly with Deejaysystem Video. Note that K-Lite Codec Pack Deejaysystem Edition is highly recommended for playing MPEG2 video.

Originally posted by Dj_Shawn Dj_Shawn wrote:

I have been "ripping" my Music DVD's using ImTOO DVD Ripper 4!..

It's works GREAT and is very FAST!!.. I've settled on ripping directly to Mpeg1, and it only takes about 1-2 minutes per video to rip, convert, and be ready to name and play!.. My older version of ImTOO DVD Ripper used to take hours and was slow as heck even to only rip one video and the quailty was not that great using Mpeg1... This new version ImTOO DVD Ripper 4 is simply a "must have" program if you plan on "ripping DVD music video"... I just riped a whole "promo only" video DVD (about 40 videos) in about 1 hour -vs- the old ImTOO DVD Ripper that would take up to 8-10 hours!,, SWEEEET!

They play perfectly with VD2 and 3 beta, and in all honesty I can't tell the difference in the VJ2 playback "riped" version and the original DVD! and that's only using Mpeg1!...

*I haven't Tried the .VOB copy past way yet, but I feel the ripping method is going to be better anyway, because ripping ussing ImTOO DVD Ripper 4 re-encodes the video and keeps most average length videos around a low 30-60 MB range so it helps conserve space and takes less time to load the vids into VJS :-)

Ripping individual tracks with ImToo DVD Ripper:

Solution & screenshot by DJ_Shawn

Edited by Edy
RequestDVDj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RequestDVDj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 23:31

I am also learning but here is what I understand today...

I think you might try Mpeg4.  The quality is fair and the size is manageable ... you can get more that a few DVDs on the hard drive.  I think Mpeg4 is like TV quality.

I want to know about 'taging' whatever format file we decide on.  Finding this stuff in the cryptic named files will be murder.

Dj_Shawn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dj_Shawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 02:49

"What Format to Use" (AVI, DIVX, VOB, Dat, Mpeg1-2-4, etc).... ???? Well I guess that is really up to you and what you think works, looks, and plays best for your needs.

*Mpeg4 does look better, but then again, so does Divx or AVI... It's hard choice to make! The higher the and better the Rip, usually results in having "larger" files... But I personaly have tried them all, and the way I see it, if all your wanting is fast rips, acceptable quality TV or Projector playback sound and video. Mpeg1 is the fastest and smallest... But if you want a more HD DVD quality rip you may have to accept larger file sizes for each vid, CPU "ripping and encoding time", and will probabably for sure have to use the K-Lite Codec pack Edy recommends...

----------------------------------------------------

*ABOUT CDDB /  DVD VIDEO auto file naming.... I too wish there was a way to auto name your rips, but so far to my knowledge there is not such a thing (yet) If there is, I want it too!!  I know it sucks and I hate it too, but since "most companies" don't want you to RIP their DVD's using programs like ImToo4, we are all kind of stuck manually namming each and every video file one at a time!!...  (Unlike the CD Data Base look-up for auto naming music cd's, DVD's are a bit harder, because unlike Music CD's, they have Titles, Chapters, Menu's, etc...) DVD's can be layed out and created inso many different ways I just don't see how it's possible, (yet!)

I too have about 200 Promo only DVD's left to go threw and rip but have not had the time since naming takes even longer then the whole Ripping session!...  YES, manualy naming each riped video is very intense and timely, but once your done, your done, and ALL you videos will be named "perfect" without any mistakes, unless you made them...

*Bad typer and speller (like me)?... Find a helper, friend or family member that is a great speller, fast typer, and put them on the keyboard and read the artist - song name to them one at a time, and you should both be able to blast threw them all really fast and be done with it 

Rock On!..

[Dj_Shawn Rocks The House!]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RequestDVDj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 21:49

*ABOUT CDDB /  DVD VIDEO auto file naming.... I too wish there was a way to auto name your rips, but so far to my knowledge there is not such a thing (yet) If there is, I want it too!!  I know it sucks and I hate it too, but since "most companies" don't want you to RIP their DVD's using programs like ImToo4, we are all kind of stuck manually namming each and every video file one at a time!!...  (Unlike the CD Data Base look-up for auto naming music cd's, DVD's are a bit harder, because unlike Music CD's, they have Titles, Chapters, Menu's, etc...) DVD's can be layed out and created inso many different ways I just don't see how it's possible, (yet!)

I  think the CDDB process works by using an algorythm to create a unique code and that is used to search for the data in CDDB.  (this is based on number of cuts, and so on.... I saw it once in a CDDB info page)  I do not think the key field is the album name ... Maybe any disk can generate a unique code to search with???  Maybe the PO DVDs are in CDDB already?  I doubt it.

I can imagine a .bat file being able to read exported tab delimited files with the PO data.  If you name your directories like the PO data is laid out in the columns, you could create a path name to each file that is unique.  That path name can be fed into a dos rename command... it can be done, any volunteers?  Maybe 20 lines of DOS scripting code.

Dj_Shawn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dj_Shawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 22:24

Huum.... I wonder... You may be on to something!... It still seems kind of far fetched and out there, but batch renaming files is easy, *but since we are dealing with VIDEO and AUDIO there may be a way by using the embeded codecs and cryptic data from the video file itself... but there would still need to be a master "CDDB style" of database somewhere to get and pull this info... That's where it could get tricky.. but possible! 

[Dj_Shawn Rocks The House!]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RequestDVDj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 01:04

The CDDB may be set up for the PO DVDs, but I still doubt it.

The batch file idea would use the PO tab data file as input.  I am trying to design it in my head to be simple and goof proof.  I think if I can parse the PO tabtext file line by line and field by field those pieces can be fed into a generic script that creates the rename bat file....

CD to the directory that has the avi files, run the RenameGenerator.bat file that reads the POtabtext file to extract all records for the directory you are within - you can tell the RenameGenerator.bat file what directory you are in or let it figure that out if you used directory names that it can decipher - and the RenameGenerator.bat builds a new specific rename bat file for that directory ... leaves that new bat file in the doirectory.  You can view/edit the new bat file to make sure it is correct then run it.

Edited by RequestDVDj
Videoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Videoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 15:58
I have been using the ImTOO software and ripping my promo only DVDs directly to mpeg-1 files. I have had excellent success, except for a few small cases. Some of the DVDs when I set them to rip will burn the amount of chapters on the disc (47 original chapters--47 mpeg1 files created), but when i view them it will be the first video ripped over and over again as 47 files, even though the length seems to be that of the chapters I was desiring. In particular, the all time party classics dvd. It rips the first video, which is a blank screen, repeatedly. Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas? Also, if you have over 200 promo only discs what do you do with them after you rip them in? I can be reached directly at streetelite@bellsouth.net or through the forum. Thanks!
forkart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forkart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 07:40

I'm use yasa dvd ripper platinum to rip dvd movie to mpeg1 or mpeg2. It does a good work.

http://www.yasasoft.com/

Davie Lee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davie Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 23:01

Hey Videoman

I had the same problem with getting all the chapters with my imTOO DVD ripper #4.  They all played the  1st one. I had a imTOO DVD ripper #2.0 that
would record the chapters one at a time. It took longer but I got the Job Done.
If you figured out how to do it on Ripper #4 let me know. Make sure you make
backup hard copies of your promo disks before you sell them. What format do
you have? Country, Hot Video or other. Let Me know.

Thanks
Davie Lee

Davie Lee
joe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 01:30
On the ImToo ripper there is a button with 2 rectangles, next to the start ripping button.  Move the cursor over it and it says show Chapters.  Click it and see if it does what you want.  If it shows 4 small squares it will show the chapters

Mine come out as vob files that seem to work ok.

Edited by joe
DJ-Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 18:13
Hallo

Im use Smartripper too and I dont Convert the Videos in a diffrent format. I just let them *.vob. Yes I know they are big, but I love good Quality an 500GB are not expensiv anymore (at least 2 Disks for Backup!!)
Alan Ross View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 04:58
I've been using the same program for a couple of years now, with no complaints... http://www.aoamedia.com/dvd_ripper.htm
It's a one-stop batch converter which will rip each music video (chapter) into a separate avi, mpeg1 or mpeg2 file, and for those of you who also want an 'audio only' ripped from the dvd, it can extract a wav file from each chapter, too. There's also a preview screen to help you to monitor progress. My format of choice is divx(avi), but with a higher bitrate than standard. With a bitrate of 2000, your average music video is about 50-60mb.
I've noticed that the divx codec struggles if you're playing a divx music video with a divx background video or divx video logo overlay. Nowadays I just ensure that my background vids & video overlays are mpeg or wmv format, and have no problems.
Cujucuyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cujucuyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 04:19
I like Imtoo dvd ripper but the one thing that I am having trouble is with ripping the mixes from promo only. I would like to be able to rip the mix sets and keep them as one file?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic