Deejaysystem Professional Tools Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Deejaysystem international > English-speaking forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

uninstalling divx codec issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cupcake07310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: uninstalling divx codec issues
    Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 14:16
Hi,
After a Vista upgrade to all supplements, I had success upgrading to VJ2 3.5.0 Beta.4 with K-Lite 2.7.2a and after I uninstalled DivX 5.2.1

Apparently DivX 5.2.1 was causing 2nd and subsequent avi files to hang as they started running

At that point, I'm getting some issues with other software. VirtualDub stops working when I load some avi files. The AVS Video Converter won't start [after clicking, message says it stops working]. GSpot won't render [Rendering Disabled by Preference Setting] but if I enable Rendering, then GSpot stops working. Video Editor Vegas Pro 9 hangs while UI Initializing [may not be related.]

I suspect Microsoft did something in the Vista upgrades to limit the way codecs are managed. Does anyone have any information on this? I am doubly suspicious because all the avi files play on Windows Media Player even though they cause Windows Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player Home Cinema to stop working.

I installed the new DivX Codec 6.9.2 on Trial with 15 days left [I wonder what happens in 15 days] and it plays well with K-Lite in that VJ2 works fine with it in place. But, the editing, converting, and playing software still stops working with avi files.

Has anyone any ideas about what to do next? Even if you're not sure, any suggestions will be appreciated. I've tried lots of stuff but I'm stymied.

David
Edy View Drop Down
Development Team
Development Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2010 at 05:39
I'd try uninstalling all codecs, then installing an updated version of the K-Lite Codec Pack:

http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_full.htm

Choose "Playback only" when installing (with or without player as your choice, this includes the Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which is a handy, lightweight all-purpose player)
Edy / Deejaysystem Team
www.deejaysystem.com
cupcake07310 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cupcake07310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2010 at 20:44
I had to defer till now because I had a couple of big parties this weekend and didn't want to make any big changes before them. The parties went well and as always several people asked me where I get that great video mixer software. OK.
So, I uninstalled Sony Vegas 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, and Vegas MovieMaker HD 10, and voila no problem anymore.
I am so happy. I later uninstalled Sonic Music Something.

I did write Sony about this a couple of weeks ago but they said uninstall and reinstall. I did uninstall and reinstall and I still can't get past the "Initializing UI" message on their flash screen. However, on the reinstall, I am not having the problem where I can't play video anywhere except in Windows Media Player: everything else including G-Spot died with message "... has stopped running."

So, I've just about given up on running Sony Vegas on this laptop. But the GOOD NEWS is that VJ 3.5.0 beta 4 works GREAT. Funny thing is Sony Vegas works just fine on my tower but not on my laptop. Oh,well.
David
cupcake07310 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cupcake07310 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2010 at 20:44
ps. I did install the K-Lite codecs you mentioned and I think that made all the difference, too.
Celin Dion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celin Dion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2011 at 05:41
I did write Sony about this a couple of weeks ago but they said uninstall and reinstall. I did uninstall and reinstall and I still can't get past the "Initializing UI" message on their flash screen. However, on the reinstall, I am not having the problem where I can't play video anywhere except in Windows Media Player: everything else including G-Spot died with message "... has stopped running."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic