Print Page | Close Window

DeejaySystem A Mistake?

Printed From: Deejaysystem Professional Tools
Category: Deejaysystem international
Forum Name: English-speaking forum
Forum Description: Chat, help and support in english on any Deejaysystem related topic
URL: https://www.deejaysystem.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=741
Printed Date: 19-Apr-2024 at 09:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: DeejaySystem A Mistake?
Posted By: cmatheny
Subject: DeejaySystem A Mistake?
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2008 at 23:52

Ok, so it's the 1 year anniversary of my purchasing this software for my business and I have to say, I fear I have made a mistake. I've watched for a year now in these forums people asking for features and enhancements that have gone unaddressed while someone named "Edy" has been hard at work "fixing video engine problems" on a product advertised as being the most stable in the industry.

Honestly, how hard is it to add a column to the playlist pane, or to make the database index editable? We're really expected to reindex our entire collection in order to remove one A$)$'ing obsolete or deleted file?

This product is becoming obsolete and getting left in the dust by the competition. I've been forced to start shopping around again just to find a product with the few "very basic" features lacking in this product. My only hope is that "Edy" has his video engine problems fixed and is hard at work somewhere in his bungalo playing catch up......

Replies:
Posted By: wingtipvortex
Date Posted: 25-Oct-2008 at 10:01
To be completley honest, i have been really impressed with this program. I have used in the past, another pc dedicated system that lacks the stability of this one by far, and it costs around $3oo a week to "rent". On the other side"your point" i think to a certain extent you are right. I have corrupt files, and deleted files that must go. Its a headache for me to even think about deleting them as i know i have to re-install DJS to update the lists. Im sure Edy is pro this project, but i would like to see some suggestions implemented to DJS as well, after all, we are the users on a regular basis. You have "dissapeared" for a while Edy, where are you?? You may need to address these issues. Cheers, Andy. 

Posted By: Alan Ross
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2008 at 23:06
Well, having purchased my copy nearly two years ago, I'm still a happy chap. Other software has been released, and I've tried plenty of them. Sure, some are better, but that tends to be reflected in the price. The competitors can't match performance and quality on text scroller & logo overlay features (which attracted me to DJS in the first place), and the only half-decent competition in this department would be ClubDJPro C3. But of course it would be...it uses the Deejaysystem video engine.
I'm really not bothered about extra features - any tinkering with the software might effect the rock-steady performance that I get from it at present. Sure, there'll always be a "wish list", but I think the simplicity & basic functionality is one of deejaysystems benefits.... I can teach another DJ how to use it within seconds instead of handing him an 80 page manual!
As far as "enhancements that have gone unaddressed " are concerned, well I have to disagree. Of all the DJ software developers out there, Edy at least acknowledges forum postings, gives his opinions & allows us to air ours, explains the issues etc.  Since joining this forum I've had several issues resolved by Edy... including additions, for example: the introduction of .CDG file extensions into the software (one of my requests). Since buying my copy there's been new features, too - The text scroller used to be monochrome & single-font, Camera inputs are a new addition, processor power and video memory requirements have both been reduced. Live internet video streams are a new feature, as is triple-buffering, WMA file compatability... I could go on. None of these have cost me any extra and I haven't had to pay to "upgrade" to a newer version.
My product is in use six nights a week, without incident or complaint. I would be lucky if I could say that over 48hrs with any of the competitors I've tried.... and I've tried them all.
If you feel the need to go looking elsewhere then do so, but please come back here to let us know what you find. of course there are better products out there, but I've only ever found performance issues, quality issues, unbelievably high system requirements or outrageous product pricing when I've looked elsewhere.  I'm not here to kiss Edy's backside..... we all want to get the best performing software for our businesses, but so far, warts & all, DJS ticks more boxes for me. So do please let us know how your search progresses.

P.S. Edy - can we have master tempo feature please? LOLLOLLOLLOL

Posted By: wingtipvortex
Date Posted: 29-Oct-2008 at 10:10

I do agree with most of your points Alan, and i am very happy with this software, to a certain extent. I personaly do have random issues with DJS, and this has happened from day 1. I wont go into these issues in this post as its not relevent. I think the main issue here is that obvious, simple features have not been implimented, such as master tempo. With Pioneer and Denon featuring this function in their cd/dvd players for some time, i would have thought that this would have been standard in DJS a long time ago.

As far as"enhancements that have gone unaddressed " , im happy that your request has been answered, i mean that senserily, but nearly all of the others have gone by the way. 

As stated before, this product is meant to be stable. It is not. No program is. But i knew that coming in. Text scrollers and overlays are of no real use to me at all, i just want this to run consistantly for me, and it dosen't. 

I am not at all trying to run you, Edy or anyone down, this is my opinion only. DJS does need some attention i think. Mabye ill never be happySmile

Posted By: Alan Ross
Date Posted: 30-Oct-2008 at 10:41
Come on then, Edy, your turn..... Tongue

Posted By: Edy
Date Posted: 04-Nov-2008 at 14:22
Thank you for your comments!

I've been busy with the video engine almost this entire year. Yes, the product is meant to be stable, and that has been exactly what I've been working for. The video engine had a design fault that was causing a severe loss of performance in the best case (the program was completely unusable to play video in the worst case). Finding and fixing this issue has been a real pain. I even couldn't sleep good knowing that the engine had such a problem.

Was this really neccesary? no doubt about it. Few Deejaysystem customers experienced this problem, but it has been a real trouble for several ClubDJPro customers, as this software makes extensive use of dynamic graphics onscreen. This issue has been finally fixed in the latest version (3.3.0). Now I'm *really* satisfied with the video engine, so I can mark this task as "completed".

The problem with some apparently simple features is that portions of the internal Deejaysystem's design is quite obsolete. Some design decissions were correct at the time they were taken (Deejaysystem has now more than 10 years!), but are not appropiated to today's standars. So my current schedule is to complete the current version with the features that can be added at this time, and then re-start the design from scratch by reusing most of the already developed portions and re-coding the parts that need to be redesigned.

Here are the features that will be implemented before the "big redesign":
  • Support for new hardware controllers (BCD3000, Denon DN-HC4500, Eks XP10, Kontrol-DJ)
  • Support for Generic Midi controllers
  • Improved text ticker options (vertical, multiple messages, etc)
  • Support for playlists in Background and Logo (ie. allowing picture slideshows)
  • Improved multi-monitor management (verifying for correct settings, more than two monitors, enabling / disabling)
  • Database tool - an external application for database edition & management.
  • New playlist options (sort by, shuffle....) and support for any playlist and song database format (by doing a raw filename scan).
  • Other minor fixes and improvements.
Right now I'm working on the improved text ticker options due to request of a corporate customer.

Please, feel free to sort the above list in the order you believe the things should be done, and then post it here. Now that the problem with the video engine is resolved, I'd really want to know what are your real priorities.

Finally, a note on the Master Tempo: It was implemented about one year ago, and it works fine! ....but due to the internal architecture, it can only have effect in audio-only files. This is why I decided to keep it disabled even in the Mk2. Has anyone noticed that the BPM counter doesn't show any value when playing video clips? It has the same exact problem with the internal design.

As always, I really appreciate all your feedback (good or bad). This is what makes Deejaysystem a really different product. Sorry if Deejaysystem and its development philosophy can not please everyone (I'd really love that!).
Cheers!

-------------
Edy / Deejaysystem Team
http://www.deejaysystem.com -

Posted By: cmatheny
Date Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 15:23
> Please, feel free to sort the above list in the order you
> believe the things should be done

In order:

1) A column in playlist that can be turned on / off (via config option would be fine) that I can enter text into for each track (which I will use to enter a singers name when doing karaoke)

2) A checkbox (or config option) to tie the active video to match the active playing deck (so we don't have to hit the A or B video button every time we switch the playing deck)

3) Index editing. (Your planned database tool should resolve this).

4) Better playlist management / file categorization. Ideally, the ability to filter for karaoke versions of songs only / music versions only & video files only. The search and playlist are very basic as is.

I used to be a programmer in my former life and could do #1 and #2 in my sleep which is why I don't understand why it's taking so long. Sorry if I sound impatient.....

Posted By: valkanela
Date Posted: 08-Nov-2009 at 13:16
I'm a newbie, but I would like to say that this software is one of the toughest things I 've seen in my life. I've tried VirtualDJ, ClubDJ, PCDJ, RockitDJ, EpicVJ, etc etc... but they all crashes in some situations. It wouldn't be a good idea to change anything in system, maybe only add some options for creating individual skins, cause this one is faaar obsolete (happy 90's ;-). I don't understand this mess with playlists, just delete it and make new one, what's the big deal?

Posted By: Dj Viper
Date Posted: 05-Oct-2012 at 13:31
By The Sounds of it you have something to do with club pro vj - which explains the generic midi mapping issues both on deejay and club pro , they don't work! who has the knowledge to "simply" write an xml file to make a controller work , i'm no pc newbie but this is beyond most people.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net