Deejaysystem Professional Tools Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Deejaysystem international > English-speaking forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Projecting the output from VJ-II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonDMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Projecting the output from VJ-II
    Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 13:31

Now that I’m in the process of finalising a system for VJ-II, another issue is presenting itself on the test rig.  The second screen video playback is noticeable interlaced and can sometimes tear when there is left to right tracking in the video.

When playing the same video using any standalone player the image is very sharp even at 1024 x 768 resolution.

As I would prefer to use a projector that can handle the higher computer resolution rather than to project in PAL where the lines will be all the more noticeable over a large screen area, I am wondering if a faster graphics card would make the difference.

At the moment I am using an Nvidia FX5200 which I thought was a fast 3D card (well it was at the time I bought it!).  I have changed the video settings in the application but that doesn’t resolve the issue.

Can anybody advise whether a faster card sorts it out (and which one) or do I have to project the video at PAL resolution?

Many thanks on advance.  Simon
Perseverence Pays

Dell Dimension 8300
XP Pro SP2
nVidia FX5200 twin screens both set at 1024 x 768 32bit.
P4 3GHz
512Mb
On board sound and second Turtle Beach Sound Card.
Edy View Drop Down
Development Team
Development Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 03:06

Hi Simon!

Just a silly suggestion until GUSi finds the time to take care of your question in depth: what about the image anti-alias filter? This should make the image smoother at any resolution.

I'm not sure if a faster graphic card would make the difference. Actually each video frame must be copied from memory-to-memory before being sent to the graphic card. This is scheduled to be optimized shortly.

Regards,

Edy / Deejaysystem Team
www.deejaysystem.com
SimonDMZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonDMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 12:41

Hi Edy

Thanks for the input.

The image anti-alias filter is set to strong but as I say the image is not very smooth.  Although even setting it to disabled doesn't make it very much worse!  Not like the difference between the Max video size at the "no limit" setting versus the "512" setting where the change is very obvious (ie the image becomes very pixelated).

I look forward to the scheduled optimization. Keep me posted.

All the best, Simon

Edy View Drop Down
Development Team
Development Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 00:29

Another suggestion. I've found that the "strong" filter does not always work in all graphic cards. Please try this:

- Set the Max video size to 64.
- Open a video clip
- Try different values at the anti-alias filter and see the results.

This would give you a more accurate idea of the anti-alias effect and which one is the most appropiate.

Regards,

Edy / Deejaysystem Team
www.deejaysystem.com
SimonDMZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonDMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 10:26

Thanks Edy.  Not so easy for me to quantify in this case.  Even if I reduce the second screen resolution to 800 x 600, the resultant output with a 64 window setting is total pixelization and no matter how I set the anti-alias filter, I still cannot discern an image!

As I say, even at 512 and 1024 x 768 sceen resolution the image is very pixelated.

"No Limit" produces the best of all  possible results (though I have not output to PAL yet as I don't have the dongle for this card).

Edy View Drop Down
Development Team
Development Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 22:41

Ok, then I should improve the anti-alias filter. It seems that not all graphic cards support all filter settings.

Regards,

Edy / Deejaysystem Team
www.deejaysystem.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic